Pat's Ponderings

just thinking out loud...


I have found myself being very encouraged recently by the profound depth of spiritual expression found in the refrains of saints whose sweet melodies have blessed the church for a great number of years. Check out this hymn written by Charitie Bancroft in 1863:

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

-Before the Throne of God Above, Charitie Bancroft

Mere black text does not permit me to exclaim how great is our Redeemer! The sheer promise that Jesus Christ, the Spotless Lamb of God, stands in my place, eternally fixed as my righteousness, fulfilling the condemnation of the Law, and granting the full rights and inheritance of a true son of the Living God - oh, that promise defies the means of exultation known to my simple mind. It is as sure as the Risen Christ, more certain than the accusations of the Father of Lies, and eternally sealed by the Blood of God's own Son! No tongue can bid me thence depart! Oh, that we would sit at our Father's feet in awe of Who He is and learn from Him! No man can approach the throne of God above without coming away utterly and profoundly changed by His Glory and Grace.

This post categorized under Musical Musings.






XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 Pat's Ponderings | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Thanks to Josh Lake for his input in customizing this layout.