Pat's Ponderings

just thinking out loud...


Some say David was manic-depressive. John the Baptist wore a robe of camel's hair and ate locusts and honey. Peter, an uneducated fisherman, stood in front of the religious elite to define and defend his faith. Paul was on his way to arrest believers when he was called to preach, and eventually die for, the Gospel he was trying to kill; he's still considered the world's most powerful and influential missionary.

History has known it's share of those branded with the label of lunacy for the sake of Christ: Martin Luther, Adoniram Judson, Hudson Taylor, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Oswald Chambers, Jim Elliot. These are joined by those countless brothers and sisters living in Asia who still today must meet in secrecy, by those in the Middle East facing violent murder each day of their lives, and by all those others who have defied society and government by boldly proclaiming the Name of Jesus. All these saints, by the bold statements of their lives, have joined in Paul's passionate outcry to the church at Philippi:
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith -- that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
(Philippians 3:7-11)
This again coming from the man whose credentials precede these statements - a man who, by the standards of social status, wealth, and even the established religious system of his day, had obtained everything considered good. So, when he calls all that wealth and glory the vilest of waste, those around him immediately wrote him off as insane.

But surely these people could not really believe that forsaking comfort and convenience for pain, suffering, and death was truly worth the cost. I mean, that really would be crazy. They must have been exaggerating, right? Far wrong, brothers and sisters! These saints saw the great value of knowing Christ Jesus, heeded His call, and believed His promise: "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." (Luke 9:23-24)

So, in light of the saints gone before us, I ask, Where are all the crazy people? Have we melted into society too deeply? Do the comforts of living in the States have us bound too tightly to our pleasure? Oh, I am as guilty as any and, perhaps, more sane than I should be. Let us consider deeply the greatness of what it means to know our Lord Jesus.

Here's the song that started me thinking on all this recently.
Why would I spend my life longing
For the day that it would end
Why would I spend my time pointing
To another Man
Isn't that crazy

How can I find hope in dying,
With promises unseen
How can I learn Your way is better
Than everything I'm taught to be
Isn't that crazy

I have not been called
To the wisdom of this world
But to a God
Who's calling out to me
And even though the world may think
I'm losing touch with reality
It would crazy
To choose this world over eternity


And if I boast let me boast
In filthy rags made clean
And if I glory let me glory
In my Savior's suffering
Isn't that crazy

And as I live this daily life
I trust you for everything
And I will only take a step
When I feel you leading me
Isn't that crazy

--"Crazy," MercyMe
Oh, let me be crazy in the eyes of this world to be in love with my Lord!

This post categorized under Personal Thoughts and Musical Musings.






XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 Pat's Ponderings | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Thanks to Josh Lake for his input in customizing this layout.