Pat's Ponderings

just thinking out loud...


Two Iraqi women were killed in a controversial shooting by members of a private security company on Tuesday, and, obviously, our media was inundated with columns and opinions surrounding the incident. It seems to be a fairly popular news tactic to smear messages and images of the violence and despair across magazines, newspapers, and the internet. But, when I began to read this article, my heart plummeted to the depths of my stomach. I felt a devastating burden of brokenness, not because of the words describing their deaths - I suppose I've grown far too used to that already - but rather because of the photograph that headlined the article.

The moment I saw it, my heart screamed, "This should never be!" And even now, as I look back to remember the boy's eyes, my soul groans and aches. I look at his once innocent eyes and see nothing but fear. I look at his face that surely once smiled and laughed and see nothing but shock and despair. Oh, what must be running through this boy's mind?! "I will never be able to go outside again to play." "I know the boy whose mother's blood that is." "I walked down that street five minutes before." "I may be killed soon...." I will never be able to express the depth of the pain in his soul. I cannot even begin to form words for how I feel!

And please, don't hear this as political rhetoric on the war in Iraq. Throw politics out the window! The broken innocence of this one Iraqi boy covers the globe. Just this week, an entire village was razed in Darfur, rape has been devastating women in the Congo, and homeless families in New York are facing more red tape. Crises with gang violence in Haiti are still pressing, and protesters are met with violent force in Myanmar in continued conflict. And these are just the ones that could be found quickly.

A man killing another man because of ethnic and religious differences is atrocious as it is. But, when innocence is shattered, like that one Iraqi boy, my gut screams and my soul weeps.

Oh, fix us, Lord Jesus! Heal us! Wipe away our tears, mend our hearts, erase our fears! Let that small Iraqi boy find peace and love in you alone. Only you can do it, Father. Bring your peace! Let us be ministers of Your peace. Love people through us. Oh, for the day when you will make all things new and shattered lives shall be no more!

Revelation 21:4

This post categorized under Personal Thoughts and Culture.






XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 Pat's Ponderings | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Thanks to Josh Lake for his input in customizing this layout.